Monday, January 21, 2008

Scanner Dilemma

I'm looking for advise on buying a large-format scanner. (Semi-large I guess, in the grand scope of things.) You know, one that can scan 11x17. I went and got myself a large format printer a while back. (OK, again in the grand scope of things it's not that large, but it prints 13-inch wide by up to 44-inch long, so it it fits my needs.) Now I have a dilemma. What to do once the art is finished.

I have scanned in two pieces and combined them in Photoshop. Sometimes this works fine. Others times I don't get the results I want, and end up spending way too much time fixing things. (And this time it's not working at all!) When I want a really good, professional scan I head down the street and fork out $50. That's what I was ready to do again, then I started thinking. If I put that towards a scanner each time, I could have my very own!

I've been doing some research, and found one under $200. But I wonder how good it is? (Although it has to be better than what I've been using.) I noticed after this price-point there is a huge jump. It looks like there are some nice ones for $1500 and up. But that is out of my price range right now. So I'm wondering what are other illustrators are using? Any recommendations on 11x17 scanners?

*The one pictured above is pretty cool isn't it! It's the Epson Expression 10000XL Large-Format Flatbed Photo Scanner. But at $2,729.93 that is out of the question. The one that's more in my budget is the Mustek Scan Express A3 1200 Pro USB Large Format Scanner.

3 comments:

June said...

Some illustrators have been discussing the Epson GT-15000 Professional Scanner, but apparently in USA it isn't any good with Macs, though if you are on a PC it might be worth checking it out! I think it has been around for a while so you might find the price is reasonable.
http://tinyurl.com/2xbmd5 (Amazon price)
http://tinyurl.com/49aa8
(Epson website for details)
Haven't got one myself, so I don't know any more... sorry!

Goomie said...

Hi Gail,

I think Laura Jacobsen has a large scanner. You might want to ask her about it. I would love to have one myself, but like you I don't want to pay over $1,000 for one right now.
See you at the next meeting!

gail said...

Thanks June! I do have a PC. I think that is the one someone else mentioned getting as a refurbished model. That might be an option to keep the price down. And Epson does have a good reputation.

Hey Goomie! Oh, good thinking. I'll see what Laura uses. See you soon!

I really was wondering about that Mustek at $170 with the next competitor staring at $1000. Someone just filled me in on the trouble she had with her Mustek's.

I did find a Plustek model that just came out in Nov. that runs for under $600. At least that's more in the middle price wise. It's too new to find reviews on it. I'll have to do a little more research.