Thursday, February 8, 2007

A Rare Sighting

I’m sitting in my studio with the door propped open just enough to enjoy the warmth from outside and trying to figure out what a seagull sounds like. Thinking about squeals and cries and caws. Looking for just the right words. When somewhere off in the distance I hear what at first I think is a bunch of dogs barking. We have lots of dogs in the neighborhood, but not that many yipping all at once. I notice the sound getting louder and louder. I open the door a little farther to hear better, when I realize its geese! I dart outside just when a perfect “V” formation of geese are flying right overhead, squawking away and heading south. I guess it’s still winter somewhere.

I really can’t remember the last time I saw geese. And I don't think I've ever seen them that close. Their sound keeps echoing in my head. Living in the southwest desert I suppose they pass through, or maybe stop and stay awhile. But I haven’t seen this in a very long time. I just wish I had time to grab my camera. But seeing and hearing them was enough for me. Funny how something so simple can get you motivated. It’s a reminder of what I’m trying to capture in my writing and why these revisions are so important. So, back to seagulls...

drawing by Charles Livingston Bull [published between 1890 and 1932]

No comments: